Almost two years ago, I spent the day at one of my very close friends houses. We swam in her pool, went bike riding and took walks all day long, so by supper time, we were fatigue from hunger. We came inside to a home cooked meal straight from the South and this day was the first day I had fried squash and cheesy zucchini slices; this was the day my love for southern garden food began to grow. From there, I began to try tomatoes, green beans and peas all from a garden and now, I can hardly bare to eat anything but these fresh foods. Although my palette has increased through the past couple of years, I have two favorite Summer side items: fried squash and cheesy zucchini slices; today I'm going to show you how I make the cheesy zucchini slices.
I N G R E D I E N T S
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Garlic salt/powder (optional)
S T E P S
1. Preheat oven to 375-ish and prepare a baking stone (or pan of your choice. I love using stones or iron skillets to cook and bake with because they are easy to clean and add great flavor!)
2. Slice as much zucchini as you think you will need and, if you would like, sprinkle garlic salt (or powder) on the slices.
3. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese all over the slices.
4. Bake the slices for about 10 minutes. I would recommend checking in on the slices every few minutes to be sure the cheese does not burn, but when the cheese is completely melted, that's a good indication that they are done. You can also use a fork to be sure that the zucchini is cooked all the way through.